Q: When is a building permit required?

A: A permit is required any time you construct, enlarge, renovate, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the Building Codes Ordinance. A permit to install or replace a manufactured home is required regardless of the cost of installation.

Q: Who can take out a building permit?

A: A homeowner can obtain a permit to perform construction on his on residence provided that the home is not offered for sale or rent for a period of two years. Anyone he hires to work on his residential property should be licensed with the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulations for the work they are performing if the cost of that work exceeds two hundred dollars. If you hire a contractor to build, renovate or add on to your home you should require the contractor to obtain the building permit. If you obtain the permit in your name, you, not the contractor, will be hel responsible for any deficient work the contractor performs even if you sell the property. The permit fees are the same for both contractors and homeowners alike.

Q: If I am building a house what do I need for my permit?

A: An approved Zoning permit, two (2) sets of construction plans, contractor's name, address, telephone number and license through the State of South Carolina LLR, a signed contract or agreement from the contractor and the cost of the project.

Q: Where do I go to get a building permit?

A: Our office is located at 1512 Martin Street Newberr, SC 29108