Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions


Does the Clerk of Court’s Office have the forms I need to file a case in Family Court and Common Pleas Court

No, the Clerk of Court’s Office does not have any forms to give you.

What is the filing fee for a case?

One Hundred Fifty ($150.00) Dollars

Where do I pay a speeding ticket?

This office does not handle any traffic violation tickets. Information concerning traffic tickets can be obtained at the Magistrate’s Office (803) 321-2144 or City Police Department (803) 321-1010

Can I be excused from jury duty?

You can be excused from jury service if you are over 65 years of age, if you have a statement from your doctor stating that you cannot serve as a juror, if you have a child under 7 years of age and do not work outside the home or if you served on jury duty within the last three calendar years. You must contact the Clerk of Court’s Office and prior to the date you are to report and advise them of your desire to be excused. The judge will address all other reasons that would exempt you from service on the first day of court.

Can a juror be transferred from one term to another?

The Clerk of Court has authority to handle transfer jury duty in most instances. Contact the Clerk’s office for verification.

Can your office give me legal advice and recommend a lawyer?

No, if you need legal assistance, you may contact Palmetto legal Services at (803) 799-9668 or the S.C. Bar lawyer referral service at 1-800-868-2284 or this link.

What is the turn-around time on original documents filed in the Register of Deeds

Original documents are mailed back within 4-5 weeks.

How do I check the records to make sure there are no liens on a parcel of land?

You should contact an attorney or paralegal to conduct your search. They have title insurance and can give you a certificate of clear title. We cannot perform searches.

How do I file for Child Support?

You may come to the office and receive an application for child support. There is a fee of $25.00 payable to SCDSS, Child Support Enforcement. You mail the fee in with your application to SCDSS.

If I pay child support, does that give me visitation rights?

Visitation rights are a separate issue from child support. To obtain visitation, contact an attorney of your choice.

My tax refund was intercepted. What happens now?

The Clerk of Court will receive a report from tax intercept division. We will credit your account accordingly. If there is a refund due to you, we will handle this matter promptly.

Has my child support been paid?

We do not answer any child support questions over the phone for security reasons. We have an automated line available that tells you the last payment, rule date and bench warrant information. You must have your full case number to access your information.

What method of payment do you accept when paying child support?

Cash, cashier’s check, Money order or company check are the only methods of payments accepted by the Clerk of Court’s office. Exclusive of cash, you can mail payments to Newberry County Clerk of Court, P.O. Drawer 10, Newberry, SC 29108. In order to receive proper credit, you must put your name and case number on any payments made other than in person.