1512 Martin Street
Newberry, SC 29108
(803) 321-2166


Anne Peters, Director, Planning & Zoning

Lori Perkins - Permitting Clerk

Bridgett Fain - Zoning Support Specialist, DHECStormWater Inspector





Zoning Ordinance

Land Use Ordinance

Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance

Assessor's Office


Building Inspections

Newberry County Council

Flood Damage Prevention

Subdivision Regulations

 Comprehensive Plan

The Planning & Zoning Department is available to assist the public in obtaining information regarding use and physical development of land in the county, and some municipalities, and to review the development plans for conformance with the county's Zoning and Land Use ordinances.

We are open Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm except on official holidays. We are in the 'old Ag building' at 1512 Martin Street which runs parallel to Main Street between Calhoun and Lindsay Streets in historic downtown Newberry.

We accept cash or checks for payment. We can conduct our business remotely, however, not so efficiently as in person.

We process applications for zoning permits, Certificates of Compliance, variance requests, special exception requests, change of zoning district requests, administrative appeal requests, RV permits, letters of verification for zoning, etc.

We enforce the Zoning and Land Use Ordinances and the DHEC StormWater Management Code for the county.

We provide administrative support for the Board of Zoning Appeals and the Joint Planning Commission, the Town of Prosperity and Town of Little Mountain zoning requests.

We also stamp plats for compliance with zoning minimum requirements prior to recording at the Clerk of Court Office.

In accordance with the South Carolina Local Government Comprehensive Planning Enabling Act of 1994, this office updates the Comprehensive Plan for Newberry County each 10 years with reviews at 5 years.

We do not consider any of your questions to be 'stupid'. The permitting process can be complicated and we can help guide you through this process, and perhaps help you avoid some unpleasant surprises.

Please call or e-mail us with your concerns.


Additional Information

From Section 400 of the Newberry County Zoning Ordinance: "No building, structure, or land shall hereafter be used or occupied, and no building, structure or part thereof shall hereafter be erected, constructed, reconstructed, moved or structurally altered unless in conformity with the regulations specified in this Ordinance for the district in which it is located."

A Zoning Permit is required before obtaining a Building Permit for a structure. Click HERE for Structure Information Sheet and HERE for the FORM.

A Zoning Permit is required before moving a Manufactured Home in Newberry County. Click HERE for Manufactured Home information sheet and HERE for the form.

If you have lake shore property or property that may be in a FEMA flood zone, please click HERE to link to access the Flood Management Department.

A Sign Permit is obtained from this office. Click HERE for Sign information sheet and HERE for form.

Click HERE for information on a cell tower permit.


What is a zoning district?

The zoning districts are areas that have certain similar uses and setbacks from the property lines for those uses and related structures.


How do I find out my zoning district?

Either e-mail or call us with, in order of preference, the Tax Map #, the street address or name of property owner. We will look it up on our zoning maps and answer any further questions you may have.


How do I report a violation?

E-mail or call us with the address and/or nature of the violation. A county ordinance ensures you will remain anonymous. The Code Enforcement officers will visit the alleged violation site and document their visit before enforcement procedures start.


What are setbacks?

Setbacks are the distance in feet that a structure or use must be from the property lines. The setbacks vary with zoning districts and uses within zoning districts

Water in the creek or lake is being contaminated by sediment from new construction. What can be done about this?

Call (803) 321-2166 and the DHEC StormWater Manager will visit the site to document and follow up on the problem.


Do I need a permit?

Most likely, YES! Call (803) 321-2166 to ask.


What do I need for a permit?

Please bring a copy of your recorded plat of the property, the DHEC permit if you have are installing a septic system, your 911 address, and $20 cash or check for each permit.


Where do I get these things?

A copy of the recorded plat may be obtained at the Clerk to Court Office in the Courthouse; the 911 address may be obtained from the Sheriff's 911 Addressing department at the Sheriff's complex on Wilson Road; and the DHEC permit from the office on Wilson Road at Smith in the town of Newberry


I have received a letter from the Planning and Zoning office?

This office will send letters to notify property owners of some proposed change to adjacent property, or that there has been a perceived violation found on their property. If clarification is needed, please call (803) 321-2166.


Can I set up any Manufactured Home?

Newberry County only permits HUD Certified Manufactured Homes to be set up. Any home older than July 15th, 1976 is prohibited from being moved into the county or have power turned back on after a lapse of 6 months.


What does a zoning inspection involve?

A zoning Code Enforcement officer will visit your property and measure from the flags placed, or structure itself, to the property lines for compliance.

What will happen if I do not get a permit?

After careful review of the structure to verify no permit being issued, a series of actions will be followed as written in the ordinance to bring the structure into compliance. This can be much more expensive than the initial permit itself.


What is the Board of Zoning Appeals?

The Board of Zoning Appeals is a citizen board that reviews Administrative Appeals, Variances and Special Exceptions to the Zoning Ordinance in a Public Hearing held at 5:30 PM on the 1st Tuesday of each month in Council Chambers in the Newberry Courthouse Annex.


What is the Joint Planning Commission?

The Joint Planning Commission is a citizen board that represents the county and some municipalities reviews and makes recommendations to County Council about re-zonings, or text changes to the zoning ordinance. The Commission also reviews the plans developers present under the Land Use Ordinance. The meetings are at 6:00PM on the 3rd Tuesday of each month in the Conference Room in the Newberry Courthouse Annex.


How do I apply to go in front of the Board of Zoning Appeals or the Joint Planning Commission?

The Planning & Zoning Department will handle the appropriate forms that are required for placement on the agenda for you.


What is a Certificate of Compliance?

This is the paper that states that the placement or use of a structure on the property is in compliance with the zoning ordinance.


The septic system is already in the ground, so do I need to show my permit?

Yes! If you do not have it at hand, go to the DHEC office on Wilson Road for a copy there. They will need the name of the property owner when the system was installed.


The septic system is old, does that matter?

Yes! We will need a letter from a septic system installer that the system is still functional.


I do not own the property. Can I still apply for a permit or get on the Joint Planning Commission's or the Board of Zoning Appeals' agendas?

Yes! We will need all the property owner's signatures that you are the designated agent and the department has the forms for various situations.





Copyright - 2009

The County of Newberry South Carolina
Email the Webmaster - Dylan Snyder